Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Things that made me smile

Doing a slightly different twist on Clare's Three Beautiful Things, this morning and reflecting on things that made me smile in the last 24 hours.

- Yesterday 8:55 AM: a plump robin red breast perched on the end of a low fence behind the parking lot at work. The morning sun backlit him such that a halo glowed around his feathers, revealing which were smooth against his puffed, orange chest and which were splayed about. My car was right beside him, in the entrance to the lot, so I rolled down the passenger side window to stare for a bit. After I parked, I tried to creep up behind him to take a picture, but his survival instincts were strong, and he hopped off and around the corner.

- Friends trying to encourage me to join Facebook, after I sent an email asking if it was worth it.

- The symphony of birds this morning as I took Babydog for a walk; the percussion of a woodpecker somewhere, amidst the chirps, tweets and calls.

- Seeing The Cap'n on his morning constitutional this morning. I've only started seeing him, probably because I'm just coming out of winter hibernation to start walking again in the mornings. He's probably between 70 and 80 years old, wears a tan, cotton peacoat that looks perfectly VanDeKamp-ish and a black nautical military cap. He walks with a cane. And I love him. As we passed him, this morning, he touched the brim of his cap in greeting. And he chuckled at seeing Babydog's little orange furry-ness strain against the leash to cross the street to say hello.

1 comment:

Deb said...

The blog is great! I wish you'd shared it with me sooner. And now you'll have the link to my semi-anonymous and very under-worked blog.