Thursday, April 24, 2008

What's Molly Dreaming Now? Edition 6

I'll try to keep this brief because I still have to walk the dog and take a shower and go to this little shindig called work.

Until I heard some poet on NPR this morning talking about his grade school teacher, I'd forgotten what I'd dreamt. But it was this - or this was the part I remembered most:

I'm in a school building. A student friend/acquaintance tells me that I need to leave within a few moments. He's wearing a black trenchcoat and has an ominous bearing about him radiating a nefarious purpose. It's clear he's warning me, giving me a heads up. He doesn't want me to get caught in his cross-fire.

I go into a detention hall being monitored by my 4th grade teacher (whom I loved) and Amy Poehler. They both seem pretty intent on making sure detention is served. "Mrs. H, Amy, you've got to get out of here! We have to leave, now!" They don't quite get it, and I can't tell them directly what's going to happen, because I don't know details and mostly because I don't want to alarm them and send the other kids into a panic. But I'm straining to stay composed as tears begin to well up in my eyes. I don't remember if they catch on.

The next thing I know, I'm outside the school and some teachers, hall monitors and cops inside have taken up guard like positions, awaiting the coming violence. But there are no guns drawn by the cops. Everyone is just standing openly, waiting. Their at once both watchful defense is both defiant and inviting, like by their physical vulnerability they're daring them to let the cowards bullets fly but also asking the perpetrator(s) to approach them civilly for comfort and reconciliation. And I'm frustrated that my teacher and Amy Poehler didn't quite get it and I'm sad that my friend wants to unleash such violence on his peers and I'm confused and scared. And the dream ended with us all just waiting. We knew what was coming and people were preparing what defense they could, but we were all just waiting.

Any prognosticators or diviners want to take a crack at this one?

No comments: