Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Insipid Graphic of the Day Award goes to ...

CNN.com!

They always have such crappy graphics that are either so cluttered and ambiguous that by themselves you'd wonder what they're trying to communicate. Or with the story, just seem to do a really poor job of communicating the point. They look like a 7th grader built a collage that looked "cool." No extra points if you can guess what the basic issue of the article was that this graphic was associated with. I'm not even including a link to give you a hint.

In the meantime ...

I began my new job today. Woohoo! I was scared, but am more excited. Still kinda' scared, but getting more excited - especially since my new coworkers seem very nice and seem to have good senses of humor. I think most of my apprehension comes from just trying to get back into a routine where my time is not my own for 10 hours a day. It's been a while since that was true for me. But I'm psyched about this opportunity. And this overall project is really great!

Finally saw Brokeback Mountain this weekend during a girls' night out. I hope to write a review of it sometime this week; it'll take me a while to get back into the full-time groove. But long story short: my suppositions about Jake Gyllenhall's performance/miscasting were correct. Heath Ledger's cowboy was accurate for most cowboys I've known in my life. Michelle Williams' performance was better than I expected - way more honest than Anne Hathaway. I just couldn't buy that she was a small town girl; she seemed very much like a coastal bred woman portraying a stereotype. Like she went right for the charicature. I've known actual rodeo sweethearts, they're not that fussied up. And though overall interesting, not sure if the story was quite compelling enough for all the buzz it's been getting. If I have time this week, I'll elaborate. You know how long-winded I can get.

1 comment:

Virginia Gal said...

Girls night?! and I wasn't included?! oh wait I was in South Africa, hee hee.