Monday, February 13, 2006

sshhh. ... let's not ruin it!

Since our neighborhood was without power for most of yesterday, my honey and I went to the movies for the first time since Christmas. We saw Woody Allen's Matchpoint. Molto excellente. I always enjoy Woody Allen movies and I seem to enjoy them more when he's behind the camera instead of in front of it. However, this was a really awesome whammy. I highly recommend it. I can totally see why it's nominated for best original screenplay this year. We also finally saw March of the Penguins Saturday night before we lost power. I'm a sucker for any kind of "let's follow this species for a year and see what they do" nature film, but the filmmakers did a good job of making the audience relate to the penguins. I was so sad when the egg cracked and froze, or when one of the chicks froze to death. I couldn't help but want to hug the parent penguins as they looked at their dead young in grief and bewilderment. We've rented Murderball from Netflix, so this might be one of those years where we actually see more than one nominated documentary.

In the meantime, my blog seems to be behaving itself. Perhaps replacing the template 10 times and republishing another 46,038 times actually worked. I'm not sure why it went bonkers or exactly what I did to fix it. All I know is that I don't want to jinx it. I'll keep it like it is for now, add my "favorite blogs" list when it seems the coast is clear, and none of us - not even you, dear Niamh - will ever speak of it again!

1 comment:

Not with a bang but a whimper said...

Ilike your new blog style.

Katie and I both really enjoyed March of the Penguins, although I was really glad I watched the original French documentary that the footage was lifted from as well (it's included on the DVD) because it painted a more complete picture and also covered the challenges of making the film.

Ever since watching the duo Katie has been wanting a penguin. I usually consider it a bad sign when a girl starts aching for any kind of pet.

Katie and I also have Murderball in our Netflix queue; I think it's coming up in line.